General Tso’s Tofu by @the_buddhist_chef.
1 block (450 g) firm tofu, diced
1/4 cup (35 g) cornstarch
3 tablespoons (45 ml) vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon (15 ml) minced fresh ginger
3/4 cup (180 ml) vegetable broth
3 green onions, minced
2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup
2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
2 tablespoons (30 ml) ketchup
1 teaspoon (5 ml) sriracha sauce, or chili paste
Sliced green onion, to garnish
Sesame seeds, to garnish
1. In a bowl, combine the tofu with the cornstarch and shake to coat.
2. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the tofu cubes
and fry, turning from time to time, until they’re golden brown and crisp. Transfer the tofu
cubes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Repeat the steps to fry the
remaining tofu cubes, adding more oil as needed.
3. In the same skillet, cook the garlic and ginger together for 1 minute. Add more oil, if
4. Add the vegetable broth, green onions, maple syrup, soy sauce, ketchup, and sriracha
sauce, and stir to combine. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken, then stir the fried tofu
into the sauce to reheat it.
5. Serve over steamed rice, garnished with sliced green onion and sesame seeds.